Thursday, March 16, 2006

Captain of Industry

You don't have to take yourself so seriously. Last night I had the pleasure of drinking wine and playing dice with a top executive of a major company, who has a life that most people dream about. He is a "Captain of Industry"

Yes, he has a lot of fun. I am not sure I have ever met anyone in my business career who enjoys life so much, and engulfs others in his circle of joy.

In two hours I learned more about success than I have learned in a dozen years. This person spent the evening with a group of people he did not personally know, and yet he dedicated 100% of his attention to those around him.

I wont name him by name, but he is known as a maverick in his company and industry. He could have easily been acted as if he was above those around him, but instead.....he was just the opposite. He was just cool. Comfortable. Delightful.

I thought a lot about this guy who could be equally at home in jeans and sandals as he would be in an expensive Italian suit. I wish more people in the business world like this man. Why do so many people get caught up in image and delusions of self importance?

How about you? Are you the cool cat to hang out with? Have you even considered how you act around other people? Does your success define who you are....OR... are you defined by something greater than the size of your paycheck?

I doubt I will encounter this gentleman again, but I will not forget the lesson I learned last night. Be yourself. Have fun. Talk to everyone. Laugh. Make others feel important. And pick up the check!!!

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

1 comment:

Steve Harper said...

Sounds like a pretty cool cat and the fact that you learned something to boot makes the encounter that much more valuable. I think it is easy for someone like you to sense when you are being shown a life lesson such as this because you, yourself, tend to have this affect on others. Perhaps for an evening it was a bit of role reversal but trust me as someone from the other side....your a pretty cool cat too!