Friday, March 17, 2006

Happy St. Patrick's Day

As a kid, St. Patrick's Day was always one of my favorite days of the year. And this began long before I could drink the green beer!!

You see, my mother's parents were both born on the Emerald Island (aka: Ireland), so our family was all about celebrating this special day. I fondly remember my aunt Catherine's famous Irish Soda Bread (the recipe has been published in my wife's cookbook, Mad At Martha, with Catherine's approval...so now you too can enjoy this amazing treat) and corned beef with cabbage. And God forbid one did not wear the green on St Patrick's Day!!! Pinch, pinch...OUCH.

In addition, my mother always made this an extra special day for me, as my middle name is Patrick. She even died part of my hair green for the day when I was in kindergarten (fortunately, not a tradition that stuck).

Anyway.....you don't need to be Irish and have a stripe of green in your hair to have the luck of the Irish on this day. So enjoy the spirit of the Irish today and have fun.

So "Top O The Morning" to you and yours. And "may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead!!!" (My favorite Irish proverb).

Have A Great St Patty's Day.

T. Patrick Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

No comments: