Monday, May 08, 2006

The ABC's of Networking: P is for Persistence

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "Press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race" --- Calvin Coolidge.

I am often amazed how easily people quit trying to accomplish their business goals. They start the year with conviction that this time they will work harder, start a business, expand their network, write articles for their industry trade journal, etc... However by mid-year they are suck in the routine of mediocrity and they have stopped thinking about achieving greatness.

Then there are those people who keep trying, no matter what obsticles appear in their path. When they finally achieve their desires, they set out to create new goals and they keep moving ahead. Other people often see these people as "lucky", but luck has nothing to do with it. It is their attitude of never stopping that leads them to the top.

When I began to write my book I thought it would take about six months. Instead it took eighteen months. However my editor, Leslie Morris, and I kept moving the project forward. There were times when we were busy with other things in our lives, but we never quit. Sure there were missed deadlines (and some slacking off on my part!), but we were committed to completing the project. We were not "lucky" to have had the time to write a book,....we were persistent.

I love watching "extreme sports" on television. These skaters, skiers, skydivers, bikers, mountain climbers and the rest are amazingly talented. However, they were not born with these skills. It took years of practice to learn how to do the death-defying moves. It took guts..... I mean real crazy bravery. They did not give up along the way. The same is true for those who are the peak performers in the business world.

I have accomplished some great things in my life, and I have failed to achieve other goals. The difference is always persistence.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

No comments: