Friday, June 30, 2006

A Different World - Four Eyed Monsters


This month's FastCompany Magazine has an interesting story, "Revenge of the Nerds", that highlights the budding film careers of two young twentysomethings. Arin Crumley and Susan Buice met on-line in New York City and early in their dating relationship they decided to make an independent movie.

With over $54,000 in credit card debt they are now trying to promote their film to the world.

I live in a different world. My wife and I met in a bar: We dated, married, bought a house, had kids, pay a mortgage, plan trips to Disneyland, etc.... On most levels I could not relate to this artistic and fascinating young couple who have charged their way into the outskirts of Hollywood. Yet with their faces placed against the glass looking into the film industry, I could not help but find myself pulling for these kids to achieve unimaginable levels of success.

They are an example to anyone in business when it comes to creativity, tenacity, unique business development/marketing and enthusiasm. They are cutting edge entrepreneurs in the genre of the young Bill Gates and young Michael Dell of twenty years ago.

Their website has some interesting stuff, including video podcasts that tell the story of the making of the film and the making of their relationship. I am still not sure what the film, Four Eyed Monsters, is about. However, if they bring it back to Austin, Texas....I will be the first to buy a ticket. I imagine I would be the oldest person in the audience, but damn it.... I will be there.

The film, music and publishing industries are all changing. Who is to say that with today's new technologies that anyone can't make a film, burn a CD or write a book and take it to international fame and fortune!! The internet and word-of-mouth advertising changes everything.

Personally, I am pulling for Arin and Susan. Red carpets? Paparazzi? Tonight Show banter with Jay Leno? Little gold statues named Oscar? Hey, why not?

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

**Photo from FastCompany.com

No comments: