Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Rude Awakening

While in Idaho for a wedding last weekend I was awakened at 2:30 AM in my hotel room by a group of fellow hotel guests returning from the bars of downtown Boise. They were loud. They were laughing. They were drunk as skunks. A cackling patrol of late night revelry ensued in the hallway for nearly twenty minutes.

I considered opening my door and yelling at these wild twenty-somethings, or calling hotel security. I had gotten to sleep around midnight, and had a busy day ahead of me on Saturday. I was annoyed, and worst of all, I was awake at 2:30 AM.

But then I remembered all the times in my youth that I was the one who maybe made too much noise late at night. While I was always one to try to be courteous, I know that I did not always succeed in these types of situations.

Did I really want to be that intolerant old-guy who called the front desk? Nope. Instead I rolled over pulled the pillow over my head. I was bothered, but I did fall back to sleep.

I think too often we snap to judgment, get mad, feel put and otherwise feel self-important. This was a good reminder to me that while these folks were being inconsiderate, they were not out to ruin my slumber. They were just caught up in their own fun. I am happy that I decided to just let it pass.

I think we all need to occasionally take a step back and not think everything is personal. These hotel guests did not set out to wake Thom Singer (although a few less drinks and the realization of others in the hotel might have crossed their minds!). Therefore, I should not have made the situation about me.

I also did not feel the desire to pound on their door at 6:30 AM when I awoke. Revenge, while maybe sweet, would not have made my life any better.

Instead, I just wish them well and take pleasure in the fact that these people had a lot of fun on Saturday night.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Thom,

I sleep in hotels every week and an all too familiar with that scenario.

I've never opened my door or called security either, BUT I have been known to pound on their door, as I walk past on my way out, at 7am.

Thanks for making me think about it, but I can't guarantee I won't keep my routine !