Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Rude Awakening

While in Idaho for a wedding last weekend I was awakened at 2:30 AM in my hotel room by a group of fellow hotel guests returning from the bars of downtown Boise. They were loud. They were laughing. They were drunk as skunks. A cackling patrol of late night revelry ensued in the hallway for nearly twenty minutes.

I considered opening my door and yelling at these wild twenty-somethings, or calling hotel security. I had gotten to sleep around midnight, and had a busy day ahead of me on Saturday. I was annoyed, and worst of all, I was awake at 2:30 AM.

But then I remembered all the times in my youth that I was the one who maybe made too much noise late at night. While I was always one to try to be courteous, I know that I did not always succeed in these types of situations.

Did I really want to be that intolerant old-guy who called the front desk? Nope. Instead I rolled over pulled the pillow over my head. I was bothered, but I did fall back to sleep.

I think too often we snap to judgment, get mad, feel put and otherwise feel self-important. This was a good reminder to me that while these folks were being inconsiderate, they were not out to ruin my slumber. They were just caught up in their own fun. I am happy that I decided to just let it pass.

I think we all need to occasionally take a step back and not think everything is personal. These hotel guests did not set out to wake Thom Singer (although a few less drinks and the realization of others in the hotel might have crossed their minds!). Therefore, I should not have made the situation about me.

I also did not feel the desire to pound on their door at 6:30 AM when I awoke. Revenge, while maybe sweet, would not have made my life any better.

Instead, I just wish them well and take pleasure in the fact that these people had a lot of fun on Saturday night.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

2 comments:

Mike said...

Hey Thom,

I sleep in hotels every week and an all too familiar with that scenario.

I've never opened my door or called security either, BUT I have been known to pound on their door, as I walk past on my way out, at 7am.

Thanks for making me think about it, but I can't guarantee I won't keep my routine !

Glenn said...

Too bad it wasn't you in the hotel room next to us when we hosted that all night poker fest and tequila tasting contest. The flight attendants who had to work early the next morning were not that understanding.