Friday, November 10, 2006

Friday Parade


I was in Los Angeles, California last week. Now some folks may not like that town, but I LOVE L.A. I was born and raised near The City of Angels and to me it will always be home to my wonderful childhood memories. While much has changed, much is still the same.

While I was there for a training class, I also had the opportunity to have dinner with my dad, who just turned 92-years-old last month. He is amazing. He looks 75, and is as active as ever.

While there I got to share with him a copy of the new book, "When Roles Reverse: A Guide to Parenting Your Parents", written by my friend Jim Comer. Jim's book is a packed with information that every family needs to know as they look to caring for aging parents and grandparents. Fortunately for us, my dad is self-sufficient, and lives his life to the fullest every day....but I wanted to share this with him because it has a story about my dad featured in the book.

My brothers and I require my dad to subscribe to the Los Angeles Times daily, even though his busy schedule (he golfs, bowls, plays cards or goes on dates with one of his many girlfriends) does not allow him the time to read the paper everyday. The reason for the subscription is that the neighbors would quickly know if something was wrong if the newspaper is not picked up by noon each day. It is an easy system to monitor that all is okay, and requires those who live across the street to simply glance at the driveway when they come and go.

Jim used this story in the book. Kinda cool.

If you have aging parents or grandparents, Jim's book is a MUST READ. Available at Amazon.com! More information available at www.whenrolesreverse.com.

Have A Great Weekend.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

Speaking of books...My book, "Some Assembly Required: How to Make, Grow and Keep Your Business Relationships" makes a great holiday gift for any person in your business network. Available at Amazon.com.

No comments: