Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Come On People, Manners!

I went to Starbucks today. Read the Austin American-Statesman (my local newspaper) and then quietly read a few pages in a book.

The line of coffee enthusiasts was long. People snaked through the place, past my table.

While I was reading my book, a woman reached down onto my table and picked up the newspaper and started reading it. The line was slow and she even had time to grab a second section before tossing it back on my table.

Granted, I was done with the paper and was actively reading my book....but it was very clearly my newspaper. She never asked if she could read it. She never said "thank you" after returning it to my table. Nothing. No eye contact, no smile, nada. I kept looking up at her, expecting some response...but she avoided looking at me.

I found this very rude. But welcome to our society in 2007 where some random person feels entitled to my paper. I assume she is just a bitch in all aspects of her life.

Don't be like this woman. Have manners.

Have A Great Day.

thom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I placed my USA Today on my table at a restaurant, along with my glass of tea and went to the restroom.

When I got back, there was a guy there who had opened my paper, spread it out and was reading the sports section.

I asked him if I was bothering him by coming back too son and could I get an appetizer for him.

He not only didn't apologize, he was irritated by my comments.

The fact that i'm 6'2" and 250 helped him get over his irritation rather quickly.

People suck.