Monday, May 19, 2008

Life 2.0

I feel it is time to look for fresh perspectives on how to make things happen at work, home, spiritually, in my community and in my head.

No, I am not having a mid-life crisis. I am not talking about chucking it all and moving to a remote cabin to write a manifesto. I have not embraced some harmonic convergence of the third kind. This is not a bad thing.

Personally a major sea change is happening, and I can let it pass me by or embrace what will be a meaningful directional shift that will allow me to find ways to make a better impact on all areas of my world. I think these come along from time to time, and we can either ignore them or go with the flow of discovery.

I am not even sure exactly what changes I am looking to make, but I do know that I am feeling more confident than I have in a long time. With such confidence comes the ability to take actions toward being more than I was yesterday. When I was young I never questioned myself or the future possibilities. Not that with age came doubts, but responsibilities can bring a plethora of fears that can stifle. One does not want to mess up a good thing!

I am now looking to be more productive, engaged and excellent in all that I do. I am corralling my focus to ensure that I have an impact on others and that my time is not wasted on the mediocre. This is easy to consider, difficult to execute.

This is a common desire, because the most dynamic people seem to instinctively share this feeling. Distractions are abundant and can imprison that intestinal gumption that makes one strive to figure things out at a higher level. But we can all get past the mundane distractions and get on out path when we are aware of our goals and direction.

Dr. Stewart Friedman of The Wharton School (whom I met last week) teaches that you have to assess own life situation and align your actions with your values. A person who wants to accomplish more in any area must focus on achieving better results in all parts of their life. Spending too much time on any one thing will through the whole person out of whack and rob them of their potential.

When Wall Street guru Warren Buffett of the famed Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. makes an investment in a company, he looks for an organization that is undervalued, but has unusually good potential for growth. This strategy has lead him to the top of the investment world. I think anyone who wants to embrace personal growth needs to see them self in the same manner: undervalued, but with an intrinsic value for achieving future successes that are beyond current performance (As opposed to the "book value" of a business, the intrinsic value is the value of a business' ongoing operations).

So here we go. While this is not new, as I always strive to create a better life for myself and those around me, this is a construction project like no other. The raw materials are here, it is now my challenge to assemble them. Some Assembly is Required to achieve anything outstanding and inspiring.

This whole adventure should be fun. Especially because I do not go into it alone. I have a number of people in my life who support me in my quest. Equally important to those in my inner circle are those who regularly read my books and blog. This journey we take together, as my writing has become an extension of myself, so all readers are part of the process. The people who read my books and blog have become an important part of my extended network. I welcome you comments about constructing Life 2.0.

Have A Great Day.

thom
www.thomsinger.com

1 comment:

My Law License said...

Going through the same thing. Outstanding assesment. No mid-life crisis, just looking to become better and ignore the crap.

Good luck with it. Will be watching.