Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Austin, Texas Mayors Race - Vote Brewster McCracken!!!

Seems like just yesterday the country was celebrating the Inauguration of Barak Obama as the 44th President of the United States of America.

Oh, it was just yesterday.

But all politics is local, and now it is time for people in Austin, Texas to start thinking about the ever-growing list of candidates running for mayor of our fine city (the 16th largest city in America).

I am not here to tell anyone how to vote, but I do want to encourage my fellow Austinites to look closely at my friend, who is a two-term city councilman and Mayor Pro-Tem, Brewster McCracken.

Brewster understands and embraces what makes Austin unique (some call that uniqueness "weird" - but some also say "Brewster" is a weird name!!).

He is passionate about the environmental issues and clean energy initiatives that are important to the the future - not just for the city, but for the whole world.

He embraces the arts community that has always been an important part of the town.... AND he is a friend to businesses and the entrepreneurial spirit that sparks ideas that change the world.

Yes - Business, the Arts, and the environmental causes can all live together in a thriving city, and Brewster McCracken wants to make sure that Austin thrives today and tomorrow (I heard one of his opponents pooh-pooh "the vision thing". WHAT? Only a "yesterday thinker" looks down on vision!!!)

Last year he and I sat down for a long lunch and I knew right away that he had the vision to lead our city. While he did not say it at the time, I was hopeful that he would run for Mayor of Austin, Texas. Now he is running and I want to help him win.

He was open to fresh ideas and perspectives. He is hopeful that all Austinites can and will converge to make our city shine in the new realities of the world around us.

Campaigns need money, and Brewster has not raised as much of it as the old-time politicians that are also seeking the position. The max you can give is $350, but even $10, $25, or $50 can make a difference. We learned from Barak Obama that the grassroots actions of the people are what really matter to uncovering candidates that can lead us into the future.

If you live in Austin, I hope you will look at Brewster McCracken closely and consider tossing your support behind whom I hope is our next mayor.

Thanks for letting me rave about my candidate.

You can follow Brewster on the campaign trail on Twitter at @bmccracken.

Have A Great Day.

thom

1 comment:

Eugene Sepulveda said...

There's a fundraiser on Wednesday, lots of business leaders will be attending. Join us. More on brewster at http://www.brewstermccracken.com/

Obviously, I'm an enthusiastic supporter as well

Eugene