Sunday, March 15, 2009

Book Signing at SXSW - and - Constructing Life's Amazing Puzzle




I have been having a great time at the SXSW Interactive Conference. The cool part is meeting many new and amazing people, many of whom read this blog or that I only know on Twitter.

One never knows when you meet a new person how it can impact the path of your life - or how you can influence their lives in a positive way. All opportunities come from people, thus the more folks you know (not just meet, but actually cultivate connections), the greater number of prospects you will encounter in the future.

The photo above is from the book signing that took place yesterday in the SXSW bookstore. I was seated next to author Patrick O'Keefe. I had met Patrick briefly last year, and made it a point to attend his presentation yesterday on the Day Stage.

Patrick is an expert on managing online communities (he is only 24-years-old!), and the author of the book "Managing Online Forums" (which I purchased yesterday). Patrick is a nice guy and one of those unique individuals you can tell has a bright future.

I am always open to having conversations with new people, as I find that when we listen to others, we also find ways to learn and grow. I especially like adding people who are in their 20s to my network. I was once told that after you turn 40 you should make new friends in their 20s every year for the rest of you life. This will not only expose you to unique world views, but also keep you connected to the latest trends in technology and beyond.

I am looking forward to the rest of the conference and then seeing how I can be of assistance to any of those whom I have encountered, and vice versa. Life if a puzzle and half the fun is searching for the right pieces and then discovering how they fit into place.

Have A Great Day.

thom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks so much, Thom. That means a lot. I enjoyed chatting with you and spending that time together at the signing.