Sunday, March 07, 2010

Busy, But No Complaints! - The Life of A Motivational Speaker

I have spent a large part of the weekend preparing for six presentations that I will be giving this week. That is a new record for number of speeches I will have delivered in a five day period.

I am excited because I will be speaking to over 1000 people from a variety of backgrounds, specialties and industries. One of the most exciting aspects of my speaking business is that I have the opportunity to meet amazing people. For me, this is a great way to learn more about all sorts of things. People bring with them their own set of interesting stories, and new folks who cross my path allow me to expand my own understanding of the world.

Here is a list of what I am doing this week:

Monday : Two presentations at a national real estate firm's annual conference
Tuesday: Lunchtime presentation for the Houston Business Journal
Tuesday: Keynote presentation at the annual meeting for a regional construction company
Wednesday: Dinner meeting talk for a professional organization
Friday: "Core Conversation" at SXSW Interactive Conference

I now fully understand what it is for an entrepreneur to have a calling.... not just a career. I began my full-time venture as a professional speaker and consultant eleven months ago, and I have never once experienced doubt that I was living my dream.

I am very grateful to the people who have helped me acquire speaking opportunities, as most of my business comes from referrals and word-of-mouth. I appreciate the people who have introduced me to companies, law firms, associations, meeting planners, and others who utilize speakers for their meetings.

I spoke to 53 audiences in 2009, and my goal for this year is to give 60 talks. In addition to excitement of meeting this task, this is also how I improve my skills as an orator. A speaker does not get better by reading, writing, watching TV, or telling others about their abilities..... a speaker advances their "wow factor" by being on the stage (and trying new ways of connecting with the audiences they address).

If you are looking for a business speaker for your next event, I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you about how my presentations can educate, motivate and inspire your team. For more information about hiring a motivational speaker, visit my blog, website, or NYP Speakers.

Have A Great Day.

thom

No comments: