Saturday, September 17, 2011

Speaking in New York City


I had the opportunity to be the keynote speaker for the PCMA Chapter of New York at their annual "Education Day" (PCMA stands for Professional Convention Management Association).  I kicked off the program with the "Conference Catalyst", and got to spend the rest of the day participating in their event.  I met some super-nice people, learned about using social media for events from the folks at Seven Degrees Communications (Midori Connolly and Jessica Levin, who I knew before this event via Twitter!), and had a ton of fun.

The meeting was held at the historic Hudson Theater in New York City (less than one block off Time Square). This Broadway theater has hosted many productions, live television programs, special events, etc... In the 1950’s, the Hudson Theatre was home to NBC’s The Tonight Show with Steve Allen as host. During this time legends such as Bob Hope, Elvis Presley, Ernie Kovacs, Milton Berle, Sammy Davis Jr., Barbara Streisand and Vincent Price graced the theatre’s stage. The long-running daytime game show, The Price is Right also made its debut at the Hudson Theatre. It was very cool to get to speak in such an amazing location.  (As a kid I had wanted to be an actor... so this was my chance to be on Broadway!).

I love speaking at conferences or conducting corporate training programs in New York City (okay, I like all the places I get to go... but NYC is NYC!).  The energy of the city is everywhere, and contrary to stereotypes, the people in New York are always wonderful and they are receptive to the message of "Choosing people in our busy world".

I arrived the night before with no plans and decided to grab a last minute ticket to a Broadway Play.  I had wanted to try to get a ticket to "The Book of Mormon", but my flight was late and there was no way to get to this show before the curtain went up (plus it is currently the hottest ticket in Manhattan).  I ended up going to see "Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark".  The show had gotten a ton of publicity for it's huge expense and the accidents that injured actors and others during the rehearsals and early performances.  The visuals were spectacular (set was very well done).  The stunts were great (Spiderman and the Goblin were flying over the whole audience).  The music was okay (yet I cannot remember a single song).  And the story-line was kinda forced (to match the comic books and movies).  It was not the best Broadway experience but I am glad I saw it.  Going to a play alone was weird (Theater is experienced best when shared with my wife or a friend.  Solo in the audience was just not the same).

My last night in town I went to New Jersey to visit my brother and his family.  His wife is a great cook and makes the best homemade salsa on the planet.  We ate a gourmet dinner and drank some good wine.  I got to spend time with two of my nephews (who are growing like weeds).  In the morning I was off to the airport to get home to my own family.

I look forward to my next trip to the Big Apple.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer


No comments: