Sunday, November 25, 2012

Be Thankful For The People In Your Life



For the past few years I have used the Thanksgiving weekend as a trigger to remember those that I am thankful for in my life.

I am not sure where I got the idea, but each year I make a list of the 25 people I am most thankful are along for the ride in my journey. The list includes those who have been influential in my whole life and those that made a specific impact in the current year.  I do not publish this list, as it is not a brag sheet, but instead I use it to contemplate on those who make a difference in my world.  I then try to make sure that I let them know in some way that I appreciate their presence.

There is some poetic license uses in my list making.  I give a single slot to groups, couples and families that together contribute in some ways.  This might include the whole group of people I am actively engaged with in a business organization, or a family (husband, wife and kids, etc....) that are all part of my circle.  Yes, this means the list is bigger than 25 people, but it also allows me to think about the big picture and not worry about the numbers on the list.

My own immediate family gets individual lines, as I like to think of my wife, kids, brothers, parents, etc... with a highlight on the individual joy they bring.

With each person (or group) added to the list I contemplate the how and why I appreciate having them in my life and how they make me a better person. Some reasons are clear, some are broad, but all leave a mark in my heart.

I am thankful for the people in my life.  I know who they are, and I hope that I find ways to give back to their lives.  By taking the time to write down a list it ensures that I am not taking them for granted.

Who is special in your world?

Have A Great Day.

thom singer




1 comment:

Melissa Lombard said...

Really wonderful idea Thom! Thanks for sharing. I think I will adopt this tradition myself.