Friday, December 05, 2014

Real Passion Every Day


While in Nashville to speak at a conference I had the chance to go to the Grand Ole Opry at the Ryman Theater.  I had never been to the Ryman, and was pleased there was a show that I could attend while in the Music City.

The Grand Ole Opry is always an experience (I have been once before at their other theater, The Grand Ole Opry House), but that day there was a performance that was over-the-top fantastic.  I was not really familiar with up and the coming artist Chase Bryant (I do like his debut single, "Take It On Back"), but this 22 year old artist delivered one the most amazing shows I have ever seen.

What made Mr. Bryant so spectacular?  Passion.  This was not his first performance on the Grand Ole Opry stage, but you would not know that by watching him.  He was like a kid in a candy store; totally thrilled to be there playing his three song set.  

It got me thinking.... do we all ooze passion in our careers?  Are we giving 100% to everything we do in our jobs?  Is the love so visible in our actions that we inspires the souls of those we encounter?  We all should be this tuned into passion.  I want to be this kind of powerful force everyday.

The day after watching Chase Bryant perform I delivered my presentation at the conference in Nashville.  Before I walked on stage I thought about how much Bryant loved performing at the Opry, and I reminded myself that I love being a professional speaker (not that I ever really forgot).  I looked at the crowd and wanted each of them to know just how excited I was to be with them on that afternoon. Each story I told was poured through my heart. 

While I hope I always am that focused on the love of my profession and my commitment to the audience, as we move through time things can become common place.  I know that I have always been excited to be a speaker, and the hard work, sales, travel, time away, and constant pressure to find new material, etc.... never wears heavy on me.  But I am still human and over time each of us can lose sight of the right focus.

After my speech a young professional in the audience asked me why I was "so good on stage?".  He had was not sure he had before been touched in his soul by a business speech, and was curious as to what was my secret.  The answer?  Passion.

I shared with him my observations of Chase Bryant and how I always want to be 100% engaged in my actions as a speaker.  But I knew this talk was just a little better because of my day at the Opry.

You might say I took it on back (sorry, I could not resist).

Have A Great Day

thom singer

PS - If Chase Bryant ever reads this...  I want to interview him for the "Cool Things Entrepreneurs Do" Podcast.  I imagine that there is lots he does that would inspire entrepreneurs in any business. 

No comments: