Monday, April 06, 2015

Appreciation: Past, Present and Future


There is a strong feeling of gratitude sailing through my heart.

Recently I celebrated the 6-year anniversary of working for myself (I got laid-off from my last "real job" on April 1, 2009), and the passing of this milestone got me reflecting heavily on my journey. 

There have been many people who have helped me along the way.  I am overwhelmed with positive vibes about how this has all worked out in the long run.  While losing my job sucked, the incident forced me to follow my dream of being an entrepreneur.  It has been hard, and I am not always prepared for the heavy weight of running my own business. However, it has also been awesome.

When you are full of appreciation, I think it is best to let it out into the world.  Tell the people who matter.  Write a post.  Film a video.  Share your understanding.  Let the joy ooze out. 

If you bottle up the grateful feelings they will wither.

There have been so many clients, friends, and other speakers who have had an impact on the direction of my business.  Some are "Forever Friends" (those special people who are by your side in good times and bad, who never waiver in their loving support), and others have come and gone. But it is people who make the difference in how we succeed or fail.

Along the way I have made mistakes, but I work hard to own those missteps and learn from my faults.  I am slow to anger, and fast to forgive others.  I love the word "journey", as that is how I view my life.  If I am halfway to the end (figuring I live to be 99-years-old like my father), then I also know that the best times are ahead.  It is weird to think that the experiences so far are just the foundation of what is to come.  It is also exciting.

The thrilling part is about the people in my life.  Especially those I have not yet met.  I know some new folks will enter my life and together we will have a mutually-beneficial impact on each other's paths.  

Before I moved to Austin, 24 years ago, I could never have imagined the amazing people I would encounter, but they appeared.  Together we shared some laughs and tears.  I am fortunate to have called so many people "Friend".  There are so many people I adore.  And tomorrow holds new friendships and associations that will also produce win/win situations that are unpredictable today.

Appreciation to all is my song. Cheers to those who have been on this journey in the past, present and future.  My heart is full of gratitude.  You fill my sails with new winds.

Thanks

Have A Great Day

thom singer





1 comment:

Rick Lowry said...

Thom,
Congratulations once again on your 6th anniversary. I have watched you grow, persist, and achieve, to the point you are able to offer others guidance, focus, and encouragement, even while working to insure your own success.
I hope you live to be 100, and enjoy the journey. I am pleased to call you friend, and thank you for your support.
Continued success,
Rick