Monday, June 08, 2015

Leveling Up Your Life

40 Tips To Re-Invent and Re-Launch at Age 40, 50, or Beyond. (Tip #9)

Similar to "re-invention", there is a lot of talk lately about "Leveling Up".  This term is tossed around often by advice gurus, but it rarely is accompanied by useful tips on "how to" raise up your game to a higher level.  While some people do not want to totally re-launch their life, you might find yourself seeking to perform your current life with more precision and focus.  So what does it mean to "Level Up"?

From what I understand the term originates in the video gaming would.  As one plays a game and improves their skills and accomplish tasks, the player moves to a higher level.  This "leveling up" increases the difficulties of the game, but also brings more respect from the advanced abilities that go with the new level.  Oh, and the game if more fun to play at higher levels.

In the game of life, we hear the suggestion that people need to "level up", but I am not sure that most really understand what that means. On several podcasts I listen to the suggestion of "Leveling Up" is being tossed around, and it makes it sound like a magical experience that just happens.  Are we missing the part from our gaming friends where it takes experience and skill (and increases the ongoing difficulties of day to day life)?  

Also, is it more fun to play life at higher levels?  Hmmm... I think yes!!!

I searched on line for advice on "how to level up" and saw many articles that gave ridiculous suggestions:  

  • Take more photographs
  • Fly a kite
  • Swing on a playground
  • Enroll in a fencing class
  • Chase butterflies
  • Smile
  • Stretch
  • Etc...
What?  How does chasing butterflies really make a difference in living a better life?  I understand the concept of getting out of the daily rut, but not sure that is really the missing link to greatness. 

One article suggested "Have more sex" as a key to leveling up.  Sounds great, but not sure that alone makes you more effective or successful in life. Just watch half the reality shows on TV and you will find a bunch of losers who get laid regularly.

I write this post on my birthday, and next year I will turn the big 5-0.  This does not bother me, as my father was over fifty when I was born, so I do not see this number as "old".  But as with many, birthdays are milestones, and I want to be on top of my game as I enter the second half of life (hey, my dad lived to be 99-years-old).

I think to being achieving at a higher level you have to be aware of what it is you seek to accomplish.  One has to make a formal declaration that they want to make improvements.  Creating specific goals that are achievable is the first step.  If you do not know what you are seeking, you will never be able to get there.  Change will not happen by accident.

Then you have to seek out the knowledge you will need to play at the next level.  Reading, listening to podcasts, taking classes and finding mentors are just some ways that you can expand your current situation.  Knowledge is power, and too often people make assumptions about what their goal is about, but never do the research.  To level up you have to live a life of curiosity.  Ask questions like a 5 year old.  Accept nothing, and always be learning.

This whole thing takes time.  You cannot just make jumps in life.  Patience and perseverance will be your best friends in the attempt to "up your game".

Finally, you have to start taking actions that lead you toward your goal.  The best advice comes from Dr Steven Covey in his book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People".  He said "Begin With The End in Mind".  When you know what success looks like, you can reverse engineer the steps to get you there.

Do not just toss around the term "Leveling Up".... do it.  I am currently looking to do this in my own life, but I know I cannot do it alone.  If you have found ways to grow and expand, share what has worked for you along your path.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer

No comments: